This is another of my favourite soup recipes, very warming, very filling, and very moorish. Best served with some good hunks of fresh wholemeal bread.
- 1 onion (corsely chopped)
- 1 carrot (corsely grated)
- a small sprinkling of chilli flakes
- 250 grams (1 cup) split red lentils
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 750ml (3 cups) vegetable stock
- Fry the chopped onion in a little oil/butter to soften until just turning golden.
- Add the spices, the carrot, hot stock, and lentils, and stir well.
- Put the lid on, and keep it on (otherwise you’ll need to add up to a litre more of water)
- Bring to the boil, and then reduce to a simmer for around 10-15 minutes
For a creamier soup (now my preferred taste), after cooking, put about half the hot soup in a blender (or a large bowl for one of those hand blender things), and process to a smooth liquid. Then put this back in with the chunkier soup mix, and enjoy 🙂