Today, I was fortunate to try out what has to be the best hot chocolate I’ve ever tasted! (although be warned.. the measure below is for two people, not one. As much as you might like to try and drink all of it, you will feel ill if you do!)
- 450ml semi-skimmed milk
- 100ml whipping cream (whipped)
- 120g milk chocolate, finely grated / chopped / blitzed (in a food processor)
- pinch salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- dark chocolate drops
- Gently heat about a 1/3 of the milk (150ml) in a pan, but do not boil
- add the blitzed/finely grated milk chocolate, and whisk well but slowly until dissolved into the milk
- add the cinnamon and salt, and then gently the remaining part of the milk, whilst still gently heating and whisking carefully
- about 30 seconds before serving, add a little of the whipped cream, and whisk into the pan (still not letting the milk come to the boil)
- carefully pour the mixture into your two large mugs (for two people, not one!)
- top with a good squirt of freshly whipped cream
- top that with a sprinkling of dark chocolate drops
- You can then even sprinkle a little icing sugar / cocoa on top of that, for decorate purposes should you really want to!
- Drink slowly .. it’ll be very rich, very sweet, very morish, and very sickly if you have too much! (the contrast of the hot chocolate milk and cold whipped cream is particularly nice though).