After a recent trip to ‘the making of Harry Potter’ at the Leavesden studios, I’ve been trying to track down a recipe that tastes the same (if not better) than the one on sale, and also one that tasted like I thought it would from the books!
(The recipes I found with variations of ‘rum essence’ really don’t work well, and some of the more complex versions just get way too involved!)
This one’s simple though, and it works like a dream!
(serves two, 10 fl oz cups/glasses)
- 2 teaspoons real butter
- 2 big tablespoons toffee or butterscotch sauce (the ice-cream topping stuff)
- Two big squirts of whipped cream (I have a commercial aerosol whipper, but the ‘squirty-cream’ type one should work fine too)
- 25ml Baileys (optional, for adults only)
- About 15 fl oz Cream Soda (i.e. 2/3 of each serving cup)
- Put the butter and fudge sauce in a microwave dish, and microwave for about 30-40 seconds to melt and heat (mixing half way through, to help save the butter bubbling).
- Whisk thoroughly with a fork.
- Add the single measure of Baileys (optional), and then the two big squirts of whipped cream.
- Blend well with the fork (until it’s a consistent colour, it’ll look a delicious butterscotch colour)
- Carefully add the measures of cream soda to the cream mix (it’ll froth up a bit).
- Then carefully pour into your serving glasses, and drink immediately.
- Don’t down it too quickly though!
This gives you a slightly warm, slightly warming, frothy, sweet, and delicious drink which tastes like you think it should after reading it in the books.
If all beer tasted like this, I would have started drinking years ago!