Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 25 mins
Total time: 50 mins
Makes: 6 muffins
- 2 medium ripe bananas
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 Tbsp oil (rice bran, etc.)
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon (optional)
- 100 ml vegan eggy milk (see below)
- 100ml water
- 1 tsp flaxseeds
- 1/2 tsp chia seeds
- a sprinkling of oats
- a few cashews
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1 cup (112 g) gluten-free oats
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees C. If not using a silicone muffin tray, line the metal with paper muffin cases.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the bananas, baking powder, and baking soda. Mash until only small chunks remain.
- Add vanilla, oil, sugars, maple syrup, sea salt, and cinnamon and mix vigorously to combine.
- In a high power blender (nutrimix or similar), separately make the ‘vegan eggy milk’:
- Put 100ml water, 1 tsp flaxseed, 1/2 tsp chia seeds, a sprinkling of oats, and a sprinkling of cashews. Pulverise for about 30 seconds
- Add the ‘eggy milk’ to the mix, and mix once more to combine.
- Add flour and oats, and stir until just combined.
- Divide the batter between the silicone muffin tins, filling all the way – this should make about 6 muffins.
- Bake for about 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of a muffin comes out clean and the edges are dark golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool in the tin for 5 minutes (they’ll still be lovely and warm for eating for a while yet).
- Finally remove from the tin and let them cool further on a cooling rack.
- Serve with butter, or as is. It’s delicious either way.
- Store leftovers in a sealed container for up to 4 days, or in the freezer up to 1 month.