PREP: 10 min,
COOKING TIME: 30 min,
- Olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/3 tsp ground cinnamon
- 400g can chickpeas, drained
- 500ml vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper
- Natural yoghurt, to serve
- Handful of coriander leaves, to serve
- In a large saucepan over a medium heat add about 1 tablespoon of olive oil and let it heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook gently for 8–10 minutes until soft, translucent and a little caramelised.
- Add the cumin, coriander, turmeric and cinnamon, and fry gently for another minute or so until the spices are nicely fragrant. Take care not to let it burn.
- Add the drained chickpeas, then follow with the stock, and bring everything up to a steady simmer.
- Let it bubble away for about 20 minutes or until the chickpeas have softened and absorbed the flavour of the spices.
- Season well with salt and pepper, and serve with a good spoonful of natural yoghurt and coriander served on top.