Prep time : about 1.5 hours
For the chips
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 heaped tsp veg stock, or 1 stock cube
- good pinch dried rosemary
- 1 tbs butter
- 1 cup fine Polenta flour
For the topping
- 1 tbs oil
- 1 tbs butter
- 2 cups fresh brown cup mushrooms (sliced into 2 – 3 slices per mushroom)
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed / finely chopped
- Good pinch freshly ground salt and of pepper
- 2 cups fresh spinach leaves (about 2 heads), sliced up into large pieces
- 2 tbs fresh cream
- Pre-line a loaf tin with cling film / saran wrap
- With the water on a rolling boil in a large pan, add the butter, stock powder, and dried rosemary, mixing with an egg whisk.
- Whilst continuing to whisk the stock, slowly pour the dried polenta into the water. The mix will thicken suddenly, so remove from the heat, and transfer the ‘dough’ to the lined loaf tin. Press down into the base and corners of the tin with your fingers or the back of a spoon, trying to get the surface level.
- Allow to cool completely (at least 30 minutes, ideally overnight in the fridge).
- After cooling, turn out onto a chopping board, and slice into very chunky chips.
- Coat both sides with a little oil.
- Line a roasting dish with some parchment, and bake in a pre-heated oven, at 200 degrees C, for 45 minutes, tuning once at around 30 minutes, until golden.
- Transfer baked chips to a couple of sheets of kitchen paper towel. Whilst preparing the topping.
Fried Creamy Garlic Mushrooms & Spinach
- Pre-heat a thick bottomed pan on a medium heat, with the tbs oil and butter.
- Carefully lay each slice of mushroom into the pan, where the oil mix pools, and then drag the slice to a dry edge of the pan, until the whole pan is covered with a single layer of mushrooms.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes, largely undisturbed, until the face-down side is golden.
- Now sprinkle with the salt, pepper, and crushed garlic. Then carefully turn each slice of mushroom over, and fry for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the chopped spinach, and stir through the hot pan until wilted (about 1 minute).
- Add the cream, remove the pan from the heat, stir through carefully to pick up all the seasoning into the liquid and coat the ingredients.
- Spoon out the mixture onto the bed of fresh chunky hot polenta chips.
- Eat immediately. The polenta chips will soak up the creamy flavoursome sauce brilliantly.