Butternut squash risotto
This is one of my favourite risottos, it tastes very creamy, is extremely easy to eat (very morish), and seems pretty healthy too!
We make it with vegan margarine, but I know it also works just as well with proper butter.
Do sort out the squash first though, it normally takes longer than you’d expect to peel and chop!
This also goes very well with freshly made Garlic Bread.
- Half a medium butternut squash, peeled and diced in small pieces.
- One large onion, finely chopped.
- 2 freshly crushed garlic cloves / or a good teaspoon of garlic paste (optional)
- Approx 50g butter / margarine (or more)
- 1.5pts (750ml) vegetable stock (make it as two veggie stock cubes disolved in 1.5 pts boiling water)
- 250g risotto rice
- A few shavings of Parmesan (if you’re not veggie), a vegetarian alternative to Parmesan if you are veggie, or omit the cheese bit entirely if you’re vegan (it’s still great as is)
- In a large saucepan, fry the onion for a few minutes with the butter, until very slightly browning, then add the crushed garlic (or garlic puree)
- Add the dry risotto rice to the fried onions & butter, and toss until mixed, then fry for a minute or two.
- Add the vegetable stock, mix, bring to boil. Then add diced squash.
- Simmer until liquid has been absorbed (around 15 minutes), mixing occasionally. Adding a little more boiling water as necessary
- Season to taste.
- Add the Parmesan if you have it.