Quick Background Story
I historically plan baking ingredients that don’t need to be freshly purchased, and can be stored comparatively long term.
These are a few variations of the ingredients. I’m still fine tuning options, trying to bring the price down per waffle, whilst keeping it simple to access the ingredients, and taking out as many common allergens as I can.
This was all instigated after ‘The Little Waffle Shop’ in Wellington, didn’t carry a vegan waffle mix. Their gluten free mix contains egg, and apparently the chef’s are too busy to work out a new recipe for the comparative low demand at present (possibly because of the egg reducing demand). So I figured if I did the work for them, it could be switched over more easily for my own convenience. I also have friends who are both vegan and celiac (gluten free), so I wanted to make a delicious mix that was accessible for them too. The waffle shop hasn’t taken on the recipe yet, but hopefully they will one day, for those lazy times when I’m seeking a convenient sweet treat in town.
The larger commercial mix was also used in July 2018 at the Circus Hub for their Night Circus performance event (where over 200 waffles were made, for the charity). The smaller recipes are for when making them at a partner’s home.
Makes 2 @ 1/2 cup of mix per full deep Belgian Waffle
- 1/4 cup Rice Flour
- 1/4 cup Buckwheat Flour
- 2 tbls Cashew Milk Powder
- 2 tbls Soy Milk Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Powder (Gluten Free version)
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda (Gluten Free version)
- About 20ml Oil (1tbs + 1 tsp)
- 1 tbls Maple Syrup
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
- 1/4 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 cup + 1 tbls water
Makes 4 @ 1/2 cup of mix per full deep Belgian Waffle
- 1/2 cup Rice Flour
- 1/2 cup Buckwheat Flour
- 4 tbls Soy Milk powder (or soy Flour, but that’s not as good)
- 2 tsp Baking Powder (Gluten Free version)
- 1 tsp Baking Soda (Gluten Free version)
- 2 tbls Oil (Rice Bran or similar)
- 2 tbls Golden Syrup (or Caster Sugar)
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence (optional)
- 1/2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1 cup + 1 tbls water (to get the right consistency)
Makes about 16 Deep Belgian waffles
- 8 tsp Baking Powder (Gluten Free version)
- 4 tsp Baking Soda (Gluten Free version)
- 250g Buckwheat Flour
- 300g Glutenous Rice Flour
- 60g Soy Milk Powder
- 2 tbls Ground Cinamon
- 4 tbls Cocoa
- 80g Rice Bran Oil
- 80g Golden Syrup
- 1 litre (1kg) Water
- Combine all the ingredients with a whisk. The mix should resemble the consistency of fresh double cream.
- If using the larger mix, you may find it easier to put the liquid ingredients into a bowl first, add then the dry ingredients on top. Mix slowly with a mechanical mixer.
- Cook for around 5 minutes in a pre-heated deep Waffle Press (1/2 cup of mix per waffle)