Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 35 minutes
Total Time 45 minutes
Yield 6 servings
An amazingly creamy chowder, loaded with tons of veggies. It’s hearty, nutritious and so comforting!
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 200g shiitake mushrooms
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 450g red potatoes, diced
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 cup corn kernels, frozen, canned or roasted
- 1/2 cup half-and-half*, or more, as needed
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves (for garnish)
- Melt butter in the stockpot or Dutch oven. Add garlic, mushrooms and onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 3-4 minutes. Stir in thyme and dill until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Whisk in flour until lightly browned, about 1 minute. Whisk in vegetable stock and bay leaf, and cook, whisking constantly, until slightly thickened, about 4-5 minutes. Stir in potatoes.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 12-15 minutes.
- Stir in spinach and corn until the spinach begins to wilt, about 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in half and half until heated through, about 1-2 minutes; season with salt and pepper, to taste. If the soup is too thick, add more half and half as needed until desired consistency is reached.
- Serve immediately, garnished with parsley.
*Half-and-half is equal parts of whole milk and cream. For 1 cup of half-and-half, you can substitute 3/4 cup whole milk + 1/4 cup heavy cream or 2/3 cup low-fat milk + 1/3 cup heavy cream.