This is my latest iteration of a gluten free version of my regular vegan choc chip cookies.
- 200g margarine
- 180g caster sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 5 heaped tablespoons of cooled mashed potato (either freshly made yourself and cooled, or from the 100% potato dried mix but just adding a little boiling water to make a very thick paste and then leaving to cool before using).
- 5 tsp gluten free baking powder
- 100g glutenous rice flour
- 100g buckwheat flour
- 100g chickpea flour
- Optional – 100g cocoa (for a double chocolate style version)
- 200g vegan chocolate half squares /chunks
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C
- Cream the margarine and sugar together
- Add the vanilla essence and cooled mashed potato, and mix in
- Add the sifted baking powder and all the flours (and cocoa), and then fold together with a wooden spoon. If you find the mashed potato has made the mix a little too wet, add a little more flour.
- Finally add the chocolate chunks, and mix through
- Divide the mix into golf ball sized cookies with a couple of spoons, lightly press down on baking paper lining a cool baking sheet / cookie tray
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until starting to go golden
- Carefully slide onto a cooling rack (it will still be very fragile whilst hot) and allow to cool slightly for 5-10 minutes before trying to eat.
You’ll find it best when the mix is more like a rockcake recipe than a standard cookie dough. So instead of making balls of dough with your hands as you might with the regular recipe, add the mix to the baking parchment with a couple of desert spoons,
The mashed potato adds a delicious creaminess you may not otherwise expect. The chickpea flour helps to counter the slight aftertastes of the other two gluten-free flours.
Despite what their names suggest, all the flours used in this recipe should be gluten free as standard.
Double Chocolate version:
With the additional 100g cocoa to the above recipe, you may need to add a little water or quality oil to the mix, to maintain the slightly wetter consistency to the dough.
Different recipe variation with a banana:
- 70g margarine
- 60g caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/2 ripe banana
- 2 tsp gluten free baking powder
- 150g brown rice flour
- 100g vegan chocolate buttons / vegan chocolate half squares
This made a couple of very large, and reasonable tasting cookies. I’m sure the method could be developed further, but it was mainly made this way off-the-cuff due to the limited ingredients found in a friend’s house at the time.